Mahabharata – all volumes in 12 PDF-files

The Mahabharata Download PDF

Mahabharata. Here is the complete Mahabharata translated into English prose directly from the original Sanskrit text by Pratap Chandra Roy. Each of the 12 volumes is about 500 pages and they are huge files, so please be patient when downloading. The Mahabharata is one of the two major Indian hero-epics, The Ramayana being the other one. Mahabharata is usually attributed to the poet Vyasa. Mahabharata is nearly 3.000 years old and in size, it is more than ten times larger than the Iliad and the Odyssey combined. If you are looking for the Bhagavad Gita, which is a part of the Mahabharata, you can find our selections of Gita’s here: Bhagavad Gita. We also have the Mahabharata in a single volume ebook, the comprehensive Ganguli translation of the Mahabharata – if you prefer just one huge file. If you happen to have the Mahabharata in Tamil, Hindi, Marathi or Kannada, please send it to me and I will publish it here.

Mahabharata - English PDF
The complete Mahabharata translated into English prose directly from the original Sanskrit text
Written by: Pratap Chandra Roy
Published by: ORIENTAL PUBLISHING CO.
Edition: First
ISBN: None
Available in: Ebook

Download the entire Mahabharata here:

Mahabharata VOL 1 – The Adi Parva, 540 pages,  35 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 2 – Sabha Parva & Vana Parva I, 434 pages, 28 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 3 – Vana Parva II, 428 pages, 25 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 4 – Virata & Udyoga Parva, 542 pages, 25 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 5 – Bhisma Parva, 344 pages, 23 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 6 – Drona Parva, 506 pages, 24 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 7 – Karna, Salya Sauptika, Stree Parvas, 592 pages, 28 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 8 – Santi Parva I, 420 pages, 29 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 9 – Santi Parva II, 422 pages, 21 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 10 – Santi Parva III, Anusasana Parva I, 422 pages, 20 MB.

Mahabharata VOL 11 – Anusasana Parva, 418 pages, 21 MB.

Mahabharata VOL I2 – Awamedha, Asramavasika, Mahaprasthanika, Swarga-Rohanika Parvas, 316 pages, 15 MB.

See The Mahabharata movie here

We also have the Mahabharata in Hindi here:

Mahabharata in Hindi

Get the print version here: Link

236 thoughts on “Mahabharata – all volumes in 12 PDF-files”

1. Why have the last six sections of the sanskrit mahabharata texts not been included here?
    ie: the

Book 13: Anusasana Parva
    Book 14: Aswamedha Parva
    Book 15: Asramavasika Parva
    Book 16: Mausala Parva
    Book 17: Mahaprasthanika Parva
    Book 18: Svargarohanika Parva

do you have the ramayana and vedas as well?

2. I’m extremely thankful for making available the English version of Mahabharata translated from Sanskrit. It is a rare collection and an invaluable asset.

3. Fantastic piece of work. A great treasure and definitely better than reading C Rajagoplacharya’s version that we as students are so familiar with. Liked its authenticity and detail and it has become the one-stop reference on the Mahabharata for me. Coming across it is a real piece of luck. Thanks to all those who made the effort to make this available on the net.

4. Would like to check if you did have this Mausala Parva, which is part of Mahabharata.

Thank you for sharing the details and the PDF. Appericate it.

5. Thank you HolyBooks for providing this.

Knowing our History and that too, an epic such as Mahabharata is indeed a necessity in today’s world for every Indian and the world in total.

Every individual should be encouraged to read and know this and this should also be part of our school curriculum for our present and future generations.

Thank you once again. God Bless!

6. Download never works. It seems lower end server is used. Wastage of couple of hours waiting to download that too on 4G speed. Shame.

• Hi Bharat, everything works perfect from here. And I can assure you that I am not user a lower end server setup. The server is dedicated, has a gigabit upload and it runs with CDN across the globe, meaning that all content is replicated on about 20 servers world wide for ultra fast response and download time. I have reviewed the logs from the previous days and I see no outage, so I strongly suspect the error is on your system or connection.

7. Thank you very much. Years ago i found a translated copy of the Mahabharata when i was cleaning out an abandoned house. I didn’t know what to epect when i started to read it but my soul was uplifted by the wisdom in it and since then i wanted to know more about it. I am gratefull to have found the complete version.

8. Hi
    Thank u so much for uploading the 12 volumes of mahabharatha ebooks
    I would loved to have the 12 volumes in a book form

9. Thank you very much for giving the people this Free PDF version. It enables us, who otherwise may not be able to afford to buy the print versions, which run into thousands for the whole set. I do not think that there are full and complete translations of the MahaaBhaaratha in any other national language than Maraathi. This is the reason why most of the people of this land of Bhaaratha, who do not know Samskritham, have not read the original and full Ithihaasa as written by Vedha Vyaasa Maharishi. It is Sri Pratap Chandra Roy’s dedication in the last years of the 19th C that has brought an English translation to us.

It is the tragedy of our nation and a shame that the government has never offered to subsidize the translation of this Our Very Own Ithihaasa into all the languages of Bhaaratha. Even if we accept that we have been the cause of the misfortune of a black government for sixty- five years, blackness of ignorance, greed, self-abnegation, cowardice, treachery, yet I wonder at the extremely wealthy individuals, families and institutions of our land. One amongst them from each language group would not even have felt a dent in their purses if they had financed a translation. Maybe we have ro learn Samskritham, which will be a good thing.

I must call your attention to the date you have given orthe MahaaBhaaratha. “Nearly 3000 years” is totally erroneous. 3000 years ago from present is around 1000 BCE (before christian era.) That was more than 200 years AFTER the date of the Trojan War. (The date given by western academia.) Even if the date given for the presence of The Buddha on earth (which it is not) did the story of the MahaaBhaaratha take place only 500 years before The Buddha? Our own Kali Samvatsara Panchaangam that is followed for thousands of years in our Land, and the Sankalpa that we have recited for thousands of years on our Land, give the story of the MahaaBhaaratha a date of around 3200 years BCE, that 5000+ years BP (before present). I think we should rightly accept our own sources as authority and not the academia of the western universities. Please give some thought to this and effect the necessary corrections.

And thank you again on my behalf and the behalf of millions of students of our ITHIHAASAS.

• Dear Sir,
      There is two Malayalam translations are available. One is in poem and one is in prose. The prose version was published in 1965 and the poetry version is older than that.
      Thank you.

10. Thank u so much i was finding ramayana & mahabharat since long time finally i got it very happy bt still one question can i get a hardcopy of real ramayan & mahabharat in english from any book store??

11. Please let me know when you are ready with kannada translation of Vsysa Mahabharata. It will be highly appreciated.

12. I’m very exited to have found this, could you please send the kannada version of complete Veda vyasa Mahabharata

At present there is no Kannada Version of this epic available in the market.

13. I need Original Mahabharta in kannada preferably in book print. Since there is no good translation of this great epic in kannada at present in the market.

Once Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Bangalore had published which is out of stock.