The Book of Mormon

The book of MormonThe Book of Mormon is a sacred text that was published in March 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr. According to Smith, the book is originally written in an otherwise unknown language called “reformed Egyptian” on golden plates and it should be of similar importance as the Bible. Smith said he has received these plates in 1827 from an angel named Moroni, who identified himself to Smith as a Native American, which wrote a part of the book for over a thousand years ago. According to Smith this ancient Moroni buried the plates in a hill near Smith’s home in Manchester, New York.

The Book of Mormon
The founding text of the Mormon belief that was published in March 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr. According to Smith the book is originally written in an otherwise unknown language called “reformed Egyptian” on golden plates.
Written by: Joseph Smith
Published by: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Edition: First Edition
Available in: Ebook

Download The Book of Mormon by Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Smith:

Book of Mormon – PDF
Book of Mormon – plain text (1,52 MB)

25 thoughts on “The Book of Mormon”

1. This book of Mormons would only be true if there’s any historical/archaeological evidence to give it firm authenticity. Otherwise, it’s a good book to read, its formative but not authoritative so i need further clarification on how it was arranged till it reached that level of becoming Scripture with valid evidence in the side of authors. Were they inspired to write or just an attempt to create impression of acceptance from people? if inspired which inspiration?

2. Hi, I have a couple of questions for Mormons here that I would love answered. If you don’t have an answer I would love for you to research these and get back to me with an honest answer because I am struggling here. If you think what I am writing is wrong, I would also love an explanation:

Large parts of the Book of Mormon were found to be the same as parts of the 1769 version of the King James Version of the Bible. We know it was the 1769 version because even translation errors UNIQUE to that bible were copied into the original 1830 Book of Mormon. This is not denied even by LDS scholars, but my question is, if this is the case, how does this fit into Joseph Smith’s translating process?

If you think I am making this up, then you will find many LDS scholars agree on this point, but I really want to understand how this can be compatible with the BoM being 100% the true word of God.

• I am a practicing member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and a believer in the divine origin of the Book of Mormon. I am new to this site and this is an old comment and probably no longer of interest. But, scrolling down I did not see any interesting comments. In regard to your question, I assume that you are specifically talking about the long quotations of Isaiah. I have put the two side by side in a Word document and noted all of the differences in the Isaiah text and the text as quoted in the Book of Mormon. First, they are not identical. While the texts are very close, there were more differences than I thought. The majority of which being in the italicized portions of the King James with some modernizations of the language. I found the narrative of an exact plagiarism somewhat exaggerated in terms of my own study, not relying on the words of scholars or skeptics. Second, if one assumes that the biblical text is reliable or has been well preserved we would expect the texts to be very close and in fact the closeness of the texts should testify of the reliability of the King James text, if the Bible is “the word of God” in the sense that you say. In regard to translation “errors” I am not a translator and don’t have access to the most current texts. I have heard some say that the texts of Isaiah found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, which are now the oldest known copies of Isaiah and even incorporated in some versions of the Bible vindicate the quoted text in the Book of Mormon. I have not been able to read the texts in their ancient languages and could not speak to “errors”. However, some scholars in the faith have felt that during the translation of the text when Book of Mormon prophets quoted and commented on Isaiah, when quotations began, Joseph Smith went on autopilot and was influenced by the reading of the text he grew up with in the translation process. I don’t have a problem with that point of view, but I am not certain it is right. Lastly, even if you have difficulty with the origin story of the Book of Mormon or doubts that you can suspend doubt long enough to find value in its merits. Almost no one today believes in ancient Greek myths and the writings of Shakespeare as the word of God, but many have written tomes regarding their value and the truths they contain. This site is a testament to this type of analysis. I have serious doubts about texts that lay outside of my tradition, but I recognize the philosophical value and commonality among them. I don’t believe they are worthless. As a fellow searcher I wish you the best in your search of the truth and hope you are finding your own satisfaction with the truths you encounter.

3. First thing I see is an huge error LOL. The Catholic church does not mean “demi god” by the word saint. There is no such thing as a Demi God in catholic theology.

4. To all who are sceptical the solution here is simple and that is what the Book of Mormon says in Moroni.. Pray about it and ask God if its not true and no one can speak better and clearly to you than the God you know to exist. Mormons do not try to convince people they teach them to find out for themselves. Can we as humans start to do that for ourselves in all things

5. People are always under the MISCONCEPTION that the LDS Church does not follow the BIBLE. The BIBLE is its’core belief with the other documents being supplemental to it. The LDS members are the kindest, finest people I have ever met. They strive harder than any other people I have met to be “Christ-like”. As a independent Christian I have found most judgmental “Christians” to be fake and a poor representative of the teachings of Christ.

6. The Mormon claim of using Eze 37:15-19 to authenticate this book is absurd. People are blind and believe anything. Read II Cor 4:3-5. The Bible says that a time will come when men will not endure sound doctrine but instead give heed to doctrines of demons. Please my advice is that you hold firmly to the BIBLE. Have you researched about the writer Joe? Please do and you will be shocked. The book is soo false and leading many astray. Better repent and accept the true gospel of the living Jesus Christ. God bless

7. That is right but I really want to have a satisfying proof about how this book appeared. For we know the new testament in the bible was propheciesed.

8. BTW thanks for the download. I found the book to be as believable as all the other religious books, ie Bible, koraan, Mahabharatadingdong, Torah etc, although a bit lacking in the supernatural.

9. Mormonism seems to be a typically ‘American’ concept. Why? Because it fulfills an apparent need amongst those people’s for a religion that isn’t controlled by by foreigners, ie Arabs, Europeans. Jews, Asiatics etc. America needed it’s own Religion, as American as apple pie. I was not at all surprised at Joe Smiths visions, but by Americans willingness to believe them, until I put them into the context of America’s need to control everything.

10. Yes i know that the Book of Mormon is TRUE and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is TRUE. It is a word of God written for us to be saved by abiding by its precepts…

11. That a book appealed to your mind don’t make it true.
    Before you can ascertain a book to be trustworthy, it must be proofed beyond reasonable doubt. Can any one come out with the historical, archaeological and scientific proof of the book of mormon?
    Search for yourself and you will discover and be daze of its deception!
    Being a follower of Christ is not about belonging to a sect, denomination or church. It’s simply accepting Him as you personal Lord and savior and allowing Him to take over your life.
    My prayer for you dear brothers and sisters in Mormonism:
    You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.

12. The book of Mormon is true. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is also true. Many people do not understand that the word “Saint” does not mean Demi-God, as the Catholic church uses it, LDS folks use the word Saint as a follower of Christ, or disciple. This is a misconception by many who think that mormon’s pray to Joseph Smith, thinking (in a catholic way) that he must be the “Saint” that mormons pray to. In actuality, this is just 2 different groups using the same word in different ways. Mormon’s have many different terms that have evolved over the last centuries. examples:
    parish=ward=congregation
    communion = sacrement
    worship service = sacrament meeting
    Priest = Bishop(presides over a congregation)
    Scriptures = Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, +More Modern Revelations.

Part of why I beleive the book of Mormon, and everything else in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is how it tells of how I lived before I was born. Not reincarnation. But how God created my spirit before I was born, how in order for me to progress beyond where I was at, I needed to be born and experience mortal/temporal life. This resonates with me because I see wisdom in it, where other churches say that without baptism or membership in that church you will be damned to hell, the mormon church shows that God does not work that way, all will be redeemed (with few exceptions) and just by being born we have made progress that God deemed worthy for us to endure all the hardships and trials of life.

13. The book of Mormon tells about ancient Christianity, it truly taught principles and doctrines required of us by our heavenly father like the new testament today. I believe faithfully that the book of mormon is true and i hope that others will see its light.

14. its is a book that should be read and accessed by all, my account of the book is that it is true to my heart and should be to all hearts that know love, truth and justice.

15. The book of mormon is truly the most correct of any other book on earth and men will get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts. I know the book of mormon is TRUE